Friday, September 28, 2012

Books and Things

I was going to take a picture of the book I just published. Unfortunately, it's not my novel and it's not going to make me any money. I recently received my blog in book for from January 2009 - October 2010.

It's 354 pages.

It's filled with words and pictures and memories. It's all about Ethan. It has a post from nearly every single day. And it's something that I look forward to sharing with Ethan when he's older. It documents my struggles and joys with him as a baby. It discusses my thoughts, my feelings, and my outlook on the world. It will give him insight into who I was and who I wanted to be and what kind of mother I hoped I was and could be. And it shows him how much we love him. How much he changed our lives for the better.

I'm currently working on October 2010 to October 2011. It's 154 pages. Not nearly as long.

And if I were to publish October 2011 to October 2012...well, it might only be 50 pages.

Holding that book and looking through all the memories and moments and milestones, I realize how important it is that I keep writing. Not so I can have an audience of people, a group of followers. Because it documents life and gives more to my boys than the letters I write to them on their birthdays. It gives them insight into a world they'll scarcely remember. And when they have little ones someday and they are complaining about this or that, I can say, "well, let's see what you were doing. Oh, yeah. You weren't sleeping either. Let's see when things started to get better."

I would've loved to have something like that to refer to. And so I'm not going to try to think of things that might interest others (not that I'm very good at that). I'm just going to write it all down. Because while I'm doing this for me, I'm also doing it for my boys. And I'd hate for Dylan to feel he got jipped in the whole "memory lane" department!

5 comments:

  1. They will absolutely EAT IT UP when they're adults!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been over three years that I've been writing and I've thought of making a blog book a dozen times! I love that you've saved all those memories for your boys I need to do the same.

    Who did you order yours through? Any advice on getting it started?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to publish my blog as a real book, who did you use? Was it expensive? It would be soooo cool to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean. I'mm not sure if I will ever print my blog or not. I'm too much of a perfectionist and some of the posts have errors (i'm sure) and would drive me bonkers to them be in print! Can I pick certain posts for the book or how does that even work? Maybe I will some day. I have been blogging for A LONG time though and I have no idea what I would want to print!

    That being said, I LOVE my blog. My blog serves as my memory. There are times when I wish I received more comments and that more people were reading my blog, but the reality is that I am blogging for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you did your blog into a book. I did my trip to Europe into a book. I do plan on putting mine into books someday.
    (minus awards) I want to have these for my Grandchildren to get to know who I was. Also, you have come a long way in your growth over the years and I am sure if you read them you will see that.

    ReplyDelete