Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sleep...or lack thereof

Sleep. It's something that becomes the focal point of every new mom's existence. I think we all wonder at some point "How can I get more of it?" After all, even if you have the baby that sleep through the night at two weeks--unimaginable to me--there's teething and colds and learning new things that can take a baby right off track of his or her sleeping habits.

With Ethan, there just wasn't any sleep. He just didn't do it. But with Dylan, well, in the way of babies, he's been excellent. Fantastic. I couldn't ask for better. Yet today I sit here at my desk at work and wonder, "How can I get more sleep?" I'm contemplating the return of the 9:00 p.m. bedtime. But that just sucks. And so, I begin to look at the things that are causing these new issues.

The issue? This week, my sweet, little Dylan has been waking up at 2:30 and 4:30. While many mommas might not see that as a bad thing, I'm used to him waking up at 4:30 OR 5:30. I'm tired. Very tired. Toss in the 3 year old that has started waking us up at night again and it makes for an exhausting situation! I feel myself slipping into Zombie mode. Quickly.

So, there are any number of things that could be causing the problem. I'm inclined to start with looking at his milk consumption, which has dropped at daycare by about 4 ounces. Why? Well, he was so fussy Monday--gnawing, drooling, crying, etc--that I chalked it up to early teething. But yesterday, he was super happy baby and still consumed less. Since he's waking up to the world more and more, I have to believe that he doesn't want to take the time to eat. He's too busy paying attention to everything else. And when babies do that, they make up for it at night! Solution? I'm going to buy some medium flow nipples. Maybe he'll eat a little more. Maybe he'll sleep a little more.

As far as Ethan goes, well, I don't know what to do with the child. I think he's just going through feeling neglected. My husband was gone 3 days last week and then he was gone again over the weekend. I think Ethan is missing one-on-one time. I'll be gone this weekend, and then we'll both be gone again the following weekend. All for a wedding. I think once we're done with August, we're going to do something special with the boys. "Reconnect" so to speak.

In the mean time, I'm breaking the rules and getting a 3rd cup of coffee.

5 comments:

  1. I feel for you...except my lack of sleep isn't because Bree keeps waking me. I just cannot go to sleep at night. I lay there. Counting sheep, telling myself stories, praying to God that I could just go to sleep...and it never happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bless your heart! I am right there with you. The last 4 nights Avery started waking up 4-5 times {which is super unusual!} and has been crazy irritable. It turned out she has one molar that's broken through and ALL four canines about to pop through. teething hell. hang in there momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the little bit of extra food will help hold his tummy a bit longer. The interruption in sleep makes it so very hard on a mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I feel like a zombie, last night I had to make the choice of 'do I want to eat or get a half hour of sleep'. Needless to say I choose sleep, I know how you feel I can't wait till she can drink more than an ounce at a time hopefully she'll sleep longer! XO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to say something really encouraging but don't have anything. Parents, well generally moms, don't get a lot of sleep.
    Even when they grow up your up wondering where they are and what they are doing. Hang in there, it's all worth it. (I know you know that)

    ReplyDelete