Friday, August 17, 2012

Mr. Under...What?

Any one who has lived with a preschooler knows that every day is a different day and every word, phrase, or thought has the potential to be "one for the books." We had this such instance last night.

A few weeks ago, Ethan played in the water at a friend's house. Luckily, they had an extra pair of undies for him to change in to after water play was over. These underwear are quite a bit bigger than they need to be, but Ethan liked them and has refused to let me take them out of his undie collection.

And so last night after bath, Ethan put on those undies. Right before bed, he went to the bathroom, and what ensued thereafter still makes me laugh a little when I think about it.

He came into his room with his underwear pulled up above his belly button. And then he placed his hands on his hips and said, "I'm Mr. Underwear!"

Then he put on his cape, ran around his room and yelled, "Mr. Underwear through the rescue!" And no, it's not a typo. He says "through" instead of "to." Clint and I both cracked up. Silly boy.

"Alright, Mr. Underwear, climb into bed." And as we were laying there, Ethan says, "Mom? I'm not Mr. Underwear. I'm just Ethan Douglas Craft with underwear and a cape on."

"Well, you can be Mr. Underwear if you want," I said.

"No. Because I'm not. I'm Ethan just pretending to be Mr. Underwear."

He's quite a literal child. He can't just pretend unless he firsts understands reality. But nonetheless, these moments in which he lets go make me happy.

2 comments:

  1. Love that he insisted you knew he could separate imagination from reality. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He never ceases to amaze me with his thoughts. He is a wise soul!

    ReplyDelete