Tuesday, September 11, 2012

4 Month Regression


I created a post with the same name back when Ethan was 4 months old. The difference was that Ethan was never a good sleeper; he just got infinitely worse at 4 months. Dylan, well, Dylan is a good sleeper, so when he decided, about a week ago, to start up with the whole, "I'm going to wake up at 12:30 or 1 and continue to wake up every 1.5 to 2 hours the rest of the evening," well, I lost it.

And by lost "it," I mean the ability to think coherent thoughts and speak in coherent sentences. There's a stark difference in being and living with sleep deprivation and the newborn and getting slammed with it 4 months in. It's almost like your body sort of adapts and getting 3 hours of sleep in one chunk makes being up in more frequent intervals throughout the night bearable and almost a Godsend. You feel lucky that your little one is giving you a long stretch of sleep in those early days and your ability to function isn't all that off. Off a little, yes, but not greatly.

But through in a baby that has been giving you a good 6 to 7 hour stretch and then pull it back to newborn status. Your brain turns to mush and you forget basic things like brushing your hair!

I don't know what causes the 4 month regression, but I can speculate. Teething. It could be. But I see no little white nubs, so I can't be sure. Growth spurt. This seems more likely. I put my wild-haired man in his car seat and looked at him quizzically. Had he grown? He wasn't that big yesterday. I think he grew, I thought. And I smiled. Because there's something about SEEING the reason for my recent loss of sleep that adds a little perk to my step. It means there COULD be light at the end of this no-sleep tunnel. PLEASE!

And then, he also grabbed and pulled on a toy that hangs from the handle of his carrier. He hasn't been able to reach it. But today, he could.

Hoping the growth spurt is about over and soon, I will once again be dreaming and waking with smiles instead of shadowed eyes and lack of sleep induced headaches!

6 comments:

  1. I hope he fills his belly a little bit better during the day so he can once again make it for a good long stretch. Be kind to your mama, Dylan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I remember those days...I didn't know what in the world was going on with Bree when she started doing that, because...she had been a fantastic sleeper too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lord, I'm almost four weeks in and we are still on a up every hour and half, two if I'm really lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! It's a good thing the universe made them cute so that we don't snap too hard... Sorry this is happening! He's cute though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, I hate phases like this! I know that everyone says they will pass but when you're in the midst of it it's hard to remember that. sorry momm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, no, no....he can't be a non-sleeper!!! Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete