Thursday, August 30, 2012

On My Mind

I was going to do the inspire me healthy link up today, but then I realized that's not the post I want to write today. Maybe it's because I'm a slacker that has not been treating my body well lately. Or maybe it's because I'm feeling all crazy sentimental and sappy. Either way, today is sentimental sappiness.

In one week, my sweet little baby will be 4 months old. To think that it was 4 months ago that I brought that sweet little angel into the world is baffling. Time has really flown by. I'm amazed at how badly I wish I could keep him this little for a longer stretch of time.

Ethan was such a hard baby and so challenging, that I was so anxious to be done with this stage. I mean, I loved watching Ethan grow, and I loved how independent he was (and is), and I loved holding him and snuggling with him. But he was just a harder baby. He didn't sleep. He didn't go to bed. He didn't stay in his bed. He woke up so early. He was just harder on me physically. Dylan isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I look at my strong-willed, independent, extremely intelligent, awesomely funny Ethan, and I am in love all over again. He's the type of kid that has gotten better with age. I mean, he was a hard baby and he's not an easy preschooler, but he's so unique and so full of life and so happy and such a pleasure to talk to and love. I cherish laying with him each night before he goes to bed. I love it when he wants to sit with me. And I love the feel of his arms squeezing me tight when he hugs me. He is and always will be my snuggle-bug. I don't even call Dylan "snuggle-bug" or "bug" because that's Ethan. It's something special between Ethan and I.

But while Ethan may have been a tough baby, Dylan is a doll baby. And that's what I call him. I find myself wishing he'd stay this little forever. But I don't think it's just because he's different. I think this time around I'm more relaxed and I know how quickly it'll pass. I know that there are times when I wish Ethan was small enough to lay on my chest. And I know there is limited time left to enjoy that with Dylan. And I know that before I know it, Dylan will be turning 4 and my baby will be turning 7.

Dylan is working on rolling over. While I'm so excited to see him accomplish, I'm also so sad to know that he's already to that stage. Sad.

It's hard sometimes to remember to step back out of the day-to-day that we get lost in to really take a look at what we have and take a few moments to cherish it and feel it.

2 comments:

  1. It is all true but I think you are wise for your age. You see this and know that this is the time to embrace it and savor each moment while it is still present. Soak it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have those baby days back with Bree. She was such a good baby...unbelievably good. And so stinkin' sweet. I wish I had appreciated those days more...as a first timer, I guess you're always anxious to see them get to that next milestone...then when you look back, you wish that you had enjoyed the present more.

    ReplyDelete