Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Of Course You Sleep....Now

If you've been around here for any length of time, then you know quite well that my sweet, adorably loving son is an atrocious sleeper and has been since the day he arrived! It's been an ongoing battle to get him to sleep in his own space and through the night. We've done cry it out. We've done the Ferber method. We've given in and let him sleep with us. We laid a pallet beside our bed and then in his room.

For the past 3.5 years, we have struggled with this issue, and so when I got pregnant, it became apparent to me that I would never, ever sleep again. It's all part of kids, people say. And just when you think you'll sleep, they'll become teenagers and you'll be up waiting for them to walk through the door.

But then if you really talk to most people with children Ethan's age, you'll find that the good majority sleep MOSTLY through the night. Ethan, on the other hand, NEVER sleeps through the night. Until recently.

Over the past few weeks, Ethan has started sleeping through the night 2 or 3 nights a week. This is a HUGE improvement. I cannot tell you how BIG of an improvement this is. I have dreamed about this very thing. So one would think I'd be over-the-top ecstatic, right? Well, I am happy. And I hope he continues doing so. It's good for him and it's good for me.

I just can't help wishing that he would have done this even a few months ago. Why? Well, because I'm waking LITERALLY once an hour to pee. I'm not kidding. My husband said, "Good night of sleep last night? Ethan stayed in his bed all night again, didn't he?" My response. "Yes. I suppose it was alright. I just wish I wasn't waking once an hour to pee."

It seems like some sort of cruel joke that you get so little sleep toward the end of pregnancy when you're going to get so little sleep when the baby comes. And for those that say it's God's way of preparing you...well, I think better preparation would be to go into this thing well rested. God knows you may never sleep again!

2 comments:

  1. I was an insomniac my last weeks of pregnancy. I was waking up to pee, had terrible heartburn, I had hives so I itched a lot...and that big belly of mine forbid me to get comfy. I would finally get to sleep about the time Paul was getting up to go to work. It was terrible, but something I became very accustomed to. Bree was a good baby though. She usually only woke up 2 to 3 times during the night as a newborn.

    We've had our sleep issues w/Bree too, thought not as severe as yours. She went through this thing for like two months where she would get up every night, and wake me up...just for the heck of it. She never really wanted anything. Drove me insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful news about Ethan sleeping. I pray that this is his new pattern. I am sure that your new little one will be totally different when it comes to sleeping and maybe, just maybe you will have evenings (in the future) when both children actually sleep through the night. Amen to that!!!

    ReplyDelete