Monday, December 17, 2012

Some Random Tidbits

The holidays are upon us, which means things will only get busier for me. Today is my last day in the office. Then it's clean, shop, and dissertate. Should life as we know it still exist after this Friday, we will be on our way to my mother-in-law's Sunday morning.

Clint and I have reached a compromise over the whole "holiday" thing. Or rather I told him what we're going to do and when he scoffed, I said, "Compromise. You have to compromise with me." I think he decided it was easier to throw in the towel.

So Saturday evening, we will drink some hot cocoa and watch Polar Express. Ethan and I will cook up a batch of Polar Express Cocoa, adding a little something more special to the event. Then we'll tuck Ethan into to bed, wait the two hours it will undoubtedly take for him to finally go to sleep and bring out Santa's gifts. Sunday morning, we'll watch the kids play with their loot and eat some breakfast. Then we'll pack up the car and head north.

I think this is a good compromise. It means I don't have to lug all the Santa stuff with us. I know some people would prefer to be present during the whole "Santa" part, but that's just the way it's going to be.

We started a new approach with Ethan in terms of behavior. It's a reward system. When his therapist was talking to me about it, she said, "so we'll focus more on rewards than consequences," to which Ethan replied, "So that means you cannot take my LeapPad away, Mom." Smarty pants! I was quick to inform him he was correct, but that instead of having free reign of the Leap, he'd have to earn the ability to play it for one hour. We have a really good day with the system on Saturday. Not so much on Sunday. But it's going to take time. And during that time, there will be frustration and anger and all sorts of second-guessing. I think the most important thing is that we choose a path and stick with it long enough to see results.

I believe Dylan is teething. He's 7 months and has no teeth, so it's quite possible. He has the stringiest drool ever, and he kept me up way more than normal last night. I hope it happens quickly. Although, then again I don't. Something about having no teeth keeps them "babyish" longer. That gummy grin. I love it, and I'm not quite ready for it to go away!

We took the boys to the park yesterday. Dylan got to swing for the first time, and I did NOT have a camera. It's the first time I've heard an actual laugh out of him. He gives mini-laughs, but getting the boy to give an all-out laugh isn't easy!

It's amazing to see how big Dylan is. How much he's trying to do. Each day is a new day. He's into everything, and I find myself constantly looking around for the things that might choke him. On Saturday, he managed to swallow something that caused him to choke and gag. Fear overtook me and I think I became a little frantic. He was fine, and I have no idea what it was. But I've become rather paranoid about the house now.

Alright. So I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season, whatever your beliefs.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a perfect compromise! I hope your holidays are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! I think your compromise is a good one and I think spreading the gifts out over a few days will be better for the kids. I hope the reward program works with Ethan. Nothing better than the giggle of a baby! I would be paranoid too and I was when my kids were little. I was even paranoid with Skye (our dog)making sure every electrical cord was hidden. She also has to be on a leash in the backyard at night so if a coyote comes by or an owl is out they can't get to her!!! Breathe............

    ReplyDelete