Wednesday, November 7, 2012

6 Months. Already?

Six months ago. That's how long it has been since I began my first contractions that would lead to the birth of my second born. I remember the events of that day as though it just happened. I remember feeling nervous yet determined. Excited yet subdued. I remember quite vividly the argument with the doctor that was NOT my doctor. I remember thinking I should've done this at home.

I remember the rush of emotions and adrenaline that pumped through my veins when I felt the "ring of fire." I remember the love and euphoria that came right after he was out and I could see him. I remember the first latch and how perfect he already was at it. The relief I felt that maybe I wouldn't crack and bleed. I remember watching for the tale-tale signs of yellowed skin and being thankful when he stayed below the threshold. And I remember the joy of watching my first born meet his baby brother for the very first time. His smile, his excitement, his pride at announcing to the world that this is HIS baby brother.

I remember all of these things and more. And it brings tears to my eyes. He is getting so big so fast. And I just want to stop time for a few moments so that I can cherish this part of our lives. I just want to hold him before he gets too old to hold.

I was so anxious for Ethan to move through the milestones. So excited to see them. With Dylan, I think "is he really old enough to do that already?" Don't get me wrong, I love watching him grow, and I smile every time I see him hit another milestones. I hug and kiss and encourage his growth, but I wish I had more time to enjoy it. My sweet boy is growing up so FAST!

At 6 months:
  • He can sit for 5 minutes or longer, reaching from side to side.
  • He tucks his knees under his stomach and pushes up, inching himself foward.
  • He shows the same determination as his brother in getting to his favorite toys.
  • He smiles a lot, but hasn't given a full-belly laugh just yet.
  • He grabs our faces
  • He's still breastfed, although there is formula being shipped to my house to start supplementing him during the day.
  • He can still fit in to most of his 3-month clothes.
  • He has eaten ground steel cut oats, bananas and apples. He's not a fan of apples.
  • He still wakes once or twice a night to eat. But he's fast and efficient and rarely stays up afterward.
  • He's sweet and laid back and loves watching his older brother. 
  • He's still my doll baby, but I imagine he always will be.
Happy 1/2 birthday, sweet Dylan. You have forever changed my life and in ways that I could've never imagined.




4 comments: