Sunday, May 27, 2012

So little time...

So I haven't been able to read anyone's blog posts lately. I haven't been great about responding. All I can say is that I have a desktop - not a laptop - and that desktop is downstairs. Most of Dylan's stuff is upstairs. It's where I spend most of my time.

But as soon as little guy plays better on his mat, I'll be moving the show downstairs. :)

I thought I'd give a little update, if for no other reason than to have for my own records. Dylan will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. A part of me feels like that's been an eternity. Another, bigger, part of me can't believe it was 3 weeks ago that I had him. Time does seem to go faster with baby #2. Of course, that may be because Dylan, so far, has proven to be much more amicable that his big brother was at his age. For starters, Ethan woke up every 2 hours from the time I started feeding him, meaning I got a total of one hour and 15 minutes between feeding times in the beginning. Tack on the 20 minutes I had to hold the child upright due to reflux, and I was barely getting an hour between feeds for over a month. It was horrific and I felt every minute was an hour. Every day, a week. AND Ethan needed to be held 24/7. No lie.

Dylan, however, goes an average of 3 hours between feeds and has one long 4 to 5 hour stretch at night. He's been this way basically since we brought him home. While I wish that stretch was in the middle of the night instead of the beginning, I'll certainly take what I can get. So things pretty much go like this. I feed Dylan around 8:30 or 9:00. The later, the better. If it's 9, he sleeps until around 2:30. Then he wakes around 5:30 or 6. If you ask me, that's pretty damn good.

That doesn't mean I'm not tired. I am. I mean, I am up for an hour or more when he wakes, but given the alternative, I'm in a much better place.

Dylan sleeps A LOT. He's awake in the morning for a couple hours, then he wakes to eat and sleeps until about 3 or 4. Then he's awake for a couple hours, then he's back out until I feed him at 8:30 or 9. Then he's up for about an hour. Then he's out of 4 to 5. He sleeps A LOT!

And as my body heals, I find myself feeling better and better. I can do this. I would love to sleep more, but I can't complain. I know this! I really do. I'm lucky, and I hope it continues. I really, really do!

How's Ethan doing? Well, he's been good with it so far, but we haven't had "normal" around here yet. My mother-in-law was here for a while (more at Clint's request than mine, but it was fine and she was helpful, especially with Ethan), and then she took him to Iowa. He'll be back NEXT Friday. Then we'll see how things are really going to go. I will say he did already try to give Dylan a peanut and pick him up out of his swing. Going to have to keep a close watch for a while.

The only issue we've had with Dylan is gassiness and trouble with bowels. I've cut red sauce and all tomato-based products out of my diet at the request of my pediatrician. It seems to be helping. Ethan never really struggled with that. And I'll tell you, I LOVE tomatoes! We have six plants planted this year. Hopefully, he'll get over this sensitivity fast! I'd hate to miss out on garden fresh tomatoes!

Alright, little man is making fussy noises and it's 3:00 p.m. Seems he might be hungry.

Oh, and I can't wait till week 6. I'm ready to start Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred. This momma can't wear ANYTHING!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Hopefully getting into the reality of having two little ones will be easy. It sounds like you are doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going well. I think it's nice that you have some quiet time with him while Ethan is enjoying time at Grandmas.
    He sounds like a good baby and with the second baby we are less nervous too which helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are going well, hopefully your little one will get over the gas soon so you can be back on the sauce. Tomato sauce that is :o).

    XO, Rach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Dylan sounds perfect!!!
    Glad he's letting you get SOME sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been so MIA but have frequently checked your blog for news of the arrival of your new son. So happy to hear you have a healthy boy and that you had such an amazing birth experience. Dylan is absolutely adorable, just like Ethan. Congrats on your new family of 4, hope everyone is adjusting well :)

    ReplyDelete