Thursday, February 20, 2014

Alive and well

I'm still around. Just not around here. Work has been busy. Home has been busy. But we're all still here. Updates? Sure.
  • I'm all kinds of messed up over this Hailey Owens thing. I know these things happen all over the country, but it seems to have a more bitter impact when it's in your own back yard. I'm sick over it. Just sick. 
  • This event has also made me reexamine the things I let Ethan do....like play outside. I'm really not comfortable letting him out alone now, even though we live in the country. I also have been thinking about ways to communicate the real danger of some people without making him distrustful of everyone. I mean, this guy was a public school employee that worked with kids. They should be able to trust him. And that's the rub; as a parent, I feel I have to look upon everyone with suspicion. I can't trust anyone to be safe with my child. It's a hard road. And I'm already so distrustful of most people, which is something I don't want my children to feel, but alas, how do I teach them to trust in such a scary world when I can't do it?
  • Ethan is doing fantastic since going gluten free. He completely understands the need to avoid all gluten and is quick to ask if something contains the intestine-damaging stuff before consuming anything. It makes it much easier on Momma. I'm fortunate to have a child that just "gets it." 
  • I got his medical bills for all the blood work and procedures. Ugh. Expensive. 
  • I have to schedule an appointment for a mammogram and ultrasound on my left breast. I've had this done before in my 20s, but the lump has changed, and I rather be safe than sorry. I'm not overly concerned, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a little nervous about it. I don't know who wouldn't be. 
  • Dylan is fantastic. He says tons of stuff now. I can't even tell you everything he says. I love hearing his little voice say "thank you." Or "bless you." Or "Okay." Or even, "live long and prosper." Really. He does. He's still the tiniest guy I know. At 21 months, he weighs a whopping 20 pounds and still wears his 12-month clothes. He's too cute for words. He loves to sing and is pretty good at keeping the rhythm and throwing the right words in here and there. And he is a die hard Thomas the Train fan. He can name MOST of the trains. His favorite, from what I can tell, is Percy. He sleeps through the night MOST nights, which is a God send. I need the sleep and have waited a long time for it. 
Ethan's preschool is having a Parent's Night Out this Friday. I'm super excited. And they take siblings. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I miss you friend let's be crazy and meet up for lunch this coming week? You + Me + My two kiddos… What could go wrong? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear about the sleeping during the night....you have waited a long time for that! Thank you for the update and have a nice weekend. Keeping Hailey's family in my prayers. So tragic.

    ReplyDelete