Friday, August 23, 2013

Conversations with Ethan

Because there is never a dull moment.

As we were examining a dead mosquito to look at what it uses to suck blood and where the blood fills up, Ethan says, "I bet if 10,000 mosquitos bit you at once, it would suck out all your blood and you would die."

Well. At least he's pleasant. (he takes after me. just yesterday in class, I told my students that if they didn't write instructions correctly and clearly, people could die)

"I don't know about that. Do you think you'd die without your blood?" I asked.

"Well, yes," he says, "Your blood takes all the good things your body needs to all the parts of your body, so if you didn't have blood, that wouldn't happen, and you would...just....die," he explained.

He's so serious about it, too. Like it's no big deal; just another fact. I can't describe his matter-of-factness when it comes to these things.

He also told me, while we were laying in bed, that he's smarter than me. I quickly told him I've been in school longer than he has (still am!). He said it doesn't matter because "I know all about the body and you don't. And I know you can't live without blood." Well. Fine.

"Tell me something you know then," I say, "About the heart."

"The heart has four chambers. And four valves."

"It does?" I ask in amazement because, of course, I didn't know that! *sarcasm

"Yep. And four valves and the one in the middle of the heart looks like a kitty mouth."

At least he's consistent. He's always said that.

He proceeded to remind me about a video we watched about the heart about a year ago. His memory is astounding.

And as I was leaving his room, he used this conversation to stall me.

"You know that plants and trees can be electrocuted by lightning?" he asks.

"Yes. Plants and trees can be struck by lightning."

"And it would be good for a cactus to get electrocuted by electricity, right?"

"Why's that?" I ask.

"Because they have giant stickers that can hurt you if you fall on them!"

"Did you learn this in your Magic School Bus you read with Grandma?"

"No. It was on a video we watched about electricity. Remember, the cactus got electrocuted?"

"Yes, I remember." Yes, I remember the video you watched twice A YEAR AGO!

Does the child forget anything?

2 comments:

  1. He's so incredibly brilliant. That kid is going places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even remember a movie I watched last week! I love his mind and I love when you share it with us.

    ReplyDelete