Thursday, April 4, 2013

When Dreams Come True

No, I didn't win the lottery. One can only dream on that one. But what I did get was pretty close!

It's the moment that all new parents dream about. The moment that we wait for with blurry eyes and fuzzy minds. It's the moment that we resent other parents for. The moment that we believe will never happen.

The first time our little one sleeps through the night.

Not the six hour stretch that defines an infant's idea of sleeping through the night. I'm talking about the full ten to twelve hours that gives Momma a chance to grab a full eight hours. A. Full. Eight. Hours.

And it happened.

On Tuesday evening of April 2nd, I put Dylan down around 7:15. At 6:00 a.m., my husband flung his arm over me and I turned to look at the clock: 6:00 a.m. My response was simply, "Well, he's either dead or he just slept through the night." Then I dragged myself out of bed and....no I didn't go check on the little one like a good Mommy...I got in the shower.

With Ethan, I would've been in his room five seconds after waking checking for signs of life. But with Dylan, I told myself he was fine and it would've been a huge hassle to get a shower in had I accidentally awakened him. He woke by himself at 6:15.

I'm not new at this game. I've been living for years with a child that doesn't sleep. So I wasn't fool enough to believe that we'd get lucky last night. But he did sleep until 4:00 a.m. Not bad.

While I know it'll certainly be touch and go for a while....random wakings, random times, this moment means the potential is there and that Dylan is moving toward sleeping through the night. I cannot begin to imagine what it will be like to get two nights or even three nights in a row of uninterrupted sleep. As my mother in law said, "You haven't had that in over four and a half years!" And.....she's right! By the time we got Ethan sleeping in his own room all night, I was seven months pregnant and making several trips a night to the bathroom.

I wonder if my mental capacity will return. Maybe I was really smart before I had Ethan and just don't remember it. Not likely, but maybe. :)

4 comments:

  1. So glad he slept through the night! Here's hoping it continues and you can be well-rested again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me actually lol... I forgot I was signed in under the wrong account...

      Delete
  2. It was wonderful seeing you today dear - I'll keep my fingers crossed you get another 8 tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! That is definitely something to write about. Hope it is the start of many more nights of bliss.

    ReplyDelete