Wednesday, April 24, 2013

In Two Week....He'll Be A Year

It's hard to believe that this time last year, I was counting down the days toward the end of my pregnancy. This time last year, I was feeling the kicks and jabs of a little Dylan squirming around inside me. I didn't know what he looked like. I didn't know how big he would be. I didn't know if he was okay because we had that whole heart issue. I was worried and excited and big and hot and miserable.

It's hard to believe that this time last year, I was sleep deprived not because I was up countless times with a newborn but because my bladder insisted I empty it not once, not twice, but several times throughout the evening hours. As if I hadn't catered to its every "pee" whim throughout the day.

And it's hard to believe that in two short weeks, my baby Dylan will be one. I've been down this road before. I've celebrated a 1st birthday. I've looked back over the past year and felt time slipping away. I rejoiced at the many changes and felt saddened that some phases had passed.

But not for this one. Not for this tiny, little boy. And as I look upon the upcoming event, I feel myself going through these emotions again. I see how quickly he's changed and how much he has grown. I see his vibrant personality and easy-going disposition. I see his slow transition from bottled food to table food. I see him walking further and further each and every time he takes those steps. And it has all happened in just a blink of an eye.

And as I look back on the pictures of his first days home. Those pictures with his brother, I'm reminded of just how much my oldest has changed as well. That chubby-faced little boy has thinned out. His face has lost that baby fat that made him look so young. His legs are long and bony. His feet bigger. His hands don't fit within mine quite like they did a year ago.

My boys are changing. My boys are growing. And so much has happened in the past year with them both that I'm afraid to blink. Afraid I'll miss something spectacular and it'll be gone.

I am such a lucky momma. And in two weeks, I'll be a lucky momma to a four-year old and a ONE YEAR OLD!

2 comments:

  1. Blame it on my hormones but this post made me cry. I can NOT believe it's been a year. I can't believe that my little girl is creeping in on 9 months - it freaks me out. I'm not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the blink of an eye....
    I wish we could slow down time. My father turns 90 in June and he says he doesn't know where the years have gone. Feels like just the other day he was 21. Savor each moment.

    ReplyDelete