Monday, April 29, 2013

A Little Truth About Me

So I've been having a really hard time at work. I mean HARD. I wish I could talk about it, but since this blog is public and people around here do know about it, I can't. However, in my conversations with my husband, I have inadvertently discovered something I've probably always known.

Ethan is like me. I am like Ethan.

You see, when Ethan gets bored with something or has no interest in something, he no longer reaches his potential. He loses his fire. He moves on to the next thing. It drives me crazy that he won't stay focused on something I know he can do.

I can now see this pattern in myself.

Thing is, when I begin a new endeavor, I go full speed ahead. I rock it out in a way that causes people to tell me I'm a rock star. Or lament on how bright my future is and all the potential I have. But then I master it and I lose focus. I lose drive. I lose the desire to continue to prove my capability. I'm ready for the next challenge.

And while that may sound like I'm bragging about my capabilities, I assure you this is not a good thing. I become stagnant, and my work suffers.

And so I've been talking to my husband about my situation, and he brings all this up to me. He says that when I'm interested in something, I simply absorb it. Information, tasks, the whole deal. I know it like the back of my hand. So when I was slammed with a set of expectations, I didn't say, "What am I going to do? How can I meet all of this?" No, that's not me. I said, "I can do this in my sleep. They have no idea how easy this is for me." The proverbial gauntlet has been thrown down. And I shall pick it up and run with it.

It's your new challenge. Of course you can do it. Of course you will. My husband assures me. 

Because it's too easy not to and I have no problem proving everyone wrong. I have no problem proving that I don't fail and that the demise people are so anxious to see is anything but. I am strong and I have been through much worse. I got this thing.

Sometimes, people must rise above the mediocrity that surrounds them. It's a good thing I'm just the kind of girl that's willing to rise up and best them all.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read The Child Whisperer? That book totally changed how I perceive my children and how I parent them.

    I know the frustration because that sounds like me. When I'm bored with something I instantly change and do something else. I drive my husband crazy with "unfinished" projects everywhere.

    Here's the link to my blog post about it and the link to her page.

    http://southtonorth6.blogspot.com/2013/02/life-altering.html

    ReplyDelete