So I have this wonderful niece over at A Method in the Madness that nominated me for an award. Thank you Ryanne.
11 Things About Me
- I am very particular about my hair. Not in the sense that I spend time actually making it look decent. More in the sense of...I want it to feel soft and smooth.
- In college, I was so shy that I cried before giving any speech. I'd leave the room and come back later to try again. I didn't overcome this problem until graduate school.
- I read romance novels. It's true. Some people know that about me. A lot of people don't. I read them because they don't require thought. I can get lost in a love story and I don't have to think about anything else.
- I technically have 8 brothers and sisters. I'm the oldest of them all.
- I have the best workouts when I listen to Eminem. I can relate to the feeling poured through so many of his songs. More so than any other artist.
- I want to finish my novel someday and become an accomplished and well-respected author.
- I once hid a bottle of "Sex on the Beach" under my spare tire and drove through two states with it in the car. I was a teenager. My boyfriend's sister drank it before I got a single drink out of it.
- I wish I had the dedication to play piano. I know the basics and can play a few things, but I wish I could devote more time to learning that art.
- I envy some of my high school friends because they all stayed so close and I moved to another state before we were even out of high school. I'd love to have such a close connection like they have.
- I often think about my family and am saddened that I don't feel close to any of them.
- I over think everything all the time. It's an obsession.
Questions for me
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
I started this blog shortly after I had Ethan. I wanted to document his growth and milestones, as well as my own emotions through it all.
- How did you know that your spouse was THE ONE? (If single, what traits are you looking for in a future spouse?)
I didn't for a while. We were friends. He fell in love with me. I was scared. Eventually, I realized that the thought of living without him was more terrifying that jumping in. That's the short version.
- Name the 3 most important people in your life. Why are they so important?
My grandmother...even though she's gone, her influence is still felt.
Both of my children. They give a new level of meaning to my life. They fill it with joy and have taught me things I never would have contemplated sometimes.
My husband. He is my rock.
- How do your personal beliefs (social/religious/philosophical) differ
from your upbringing now that you are an adult? How have they stayed the
When I was younger, even through high school, I believed whole heartedly in God. While I do believe in God today, my vision of that is different, and I have come full circle in discovering my own way. Given my upbringing, my social and philosophical views are starkly different from those of my family members or social groups I was surrounded by as a child.
In terms of staying the same, I think it's safe to say I've always held a strong moral compass. I think that I still do, even if others don't.
- If you had a million dollars, how would you spend it?
Sometimes, I play the lottery, so I've actually thought this one out. I would start with paying off my debts, naturally. I would create funds for my children for college. I would buy my mother a house and make sure she had the necessary care to keep her comfortable. And I would donate quite a bit to the foundation I'm involved with--The Doula Foundation--and to St. Jude's. I would create a scholarship for students at the school I work at, but I would have strings attached (I may have a bit of a vindictive streak). And I would work part time, so we could travel more. And may even homeschool the kids.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Ten years isn't very far away. Hopefully, I'm full-time faculty. Hopefully, my family still has it's health. Hopefully, my oldest, who will be a teenager won't be driving me crazy!
- What is one way you are seeking to improve yourself this year?
Exercising. At least 5 days a week. It's good for the mind, body, and soul.
- What is the best book you have ever read?
There are so many, I dare not say one!
- What song describes your mood today?
I wish I knew. I'm not feeling very musical today.
- Do you have any pets?
Yes. We have one cat.
- Do you have a bucket list?
Not officially. But sort of. Mostly places I want to see.